December 3 is celebrated as International Day of Persons with Disabilities. According to Law No. 8/2016, a person with a disability is anyone who experiences physical, intellectual, mental, and/or sensory limitations for a long period of time who in interacting with the environment may experience obstacles and difficulties to participate fully and effectively with other citizens based on equal rights. Or simply put, everyone who has limitations that make it difficult to carry out daily activities. Disability can be physical, mental, or both.
The onset of disability can be due to chromosomal abnormalities from the womb, health problems from birth, acute or chronic illnesses, and injuries resulting from accidents, riots, disasters, and so on.
As it turns out, people with mobility impairments and intellectual disabilities are at greater risk of obesity and its associated diseases, as they can find it difficult to eat healthy, control their weight, and engage in physical activity due to the following:
- lack of healthy food options that they are allowed to consume
- difficulty chewing or swallowing food, due to its taste, texture or the person's abilities
- medications taken that may contribute to weight problems
- physical pain
- feeling weak and lacking energy
- physical limitations that reduce the ability to move actively
- lack of accessible neighborhood facilities e.g. sidewalks, parks and exercise equipment
- lack of resources, e.g. funds, transportation, and social support
People with disabilities need to be disciplined in practicing a healthy lifestyle, eating nutritiously, and exercising regularly to prevent the risk of other diseases. This can be done by consulting a doctor so that the body's needs are maintained, physical activity runs, and does not adversely affect the condition of the person with a disability itself.
mDoc provides doctor and nutritionist consultation services for your health and dietary concerns including those with disabilities. Do teleconsultation for easy, safe, convenient, and practical consultation.